OCLM at a Glance
Since its inception in 1993, the Open Classroom Leadership Magnet at Conejo Elementary has provided an alternative program founded on a community-based instructional model. The program is the only standards-based, K-5 public educational option available in the Conejo Valley and is designed for families who recognize the value of parent involvement and who want to participate in their child’s education more fully.
OCLM families intentionally choose to be a part of a collaborative community that values social emotional development as well as an in-depth, engaging academic curriculum. We focus on each student individually, providing opportunities for leadership, mentoring and meaningful relationships with adults and peers. This provides the foundation for students to discover their own personal strengths and contribute to their campus community and beyond. This nurturing and inspiring educational environment continues to show its positive effects as our students make their mark as self-motivated, resourceful, empathetic and conscientious middle schoolers.
- Our thematic teaching incorporates all of the standard disciplines into a dynamic curriculum that adapts to the needs and interests of our students and encourages creativity from our teachers.
- We consider the diverse and vibrant community we share with the neighborhood school at Conejo Elementary as an asset, and our program, students and families benefit from the on-campus support and administrative resources provided through CVUSD.
- Our school’s parents, family members, alumni and more work and collaborate in the classroom and for our events, which makes our learning environment more effective and enriching.
- Our “Big/Middle/Little Buddy” projects and whole-school events foster relationships across all grades, and allow for academic and social connections between students as they learn and play.
- Our multi-age classes (K/1, 2/3 and 4/5) means our teachers spend two years with each child, meeting them exactly where they are, getting to know their individual needs and helping them meet their goals. The flexibility of a two-year curriculum and the regular support of additional adults (parents and staff) in the classroom gives them ability to support and challenge student through one-on-one or small group activities.
- Our utilization of the 7 Habits of Leader in Me, builds personal leadership and responsibility in our students, and models a community that understands and values differences, resolves conflict through communication, and offers empathy and compassion for others.
Parents' weekly time commitment and specialized teachers support small-group, hands-on, thematic learning in the classroom.
7 Leader in Me Habits and parent trainings promote personal leadership and responsibility, and respect on campus and at home.
Dr. Covey's 7 Habits
The Leader in Me has received national recognition for its emphasis on developing leadership in elementary-age children. The philosophy is grounded in the belief that building cooperative relationships and nurturing responsibility, kindness and good judgment is the basis for creating a successful community of learners. By developing the whole child – socially, emotionally, academically and ethically – the OCLM program fosters a climate of principle-based values that develop personal leadership in every child.
The "7 Habits" of Dr. Stephen R. Covey, internationally renowned consultant and author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, are embedded in OCLMs culture, and they guide students, faculty and staff in building an effective leadership model. To further enhance the collaboration between school and parents, families are provided monthly seminars and training opportunities to learn and apply these 7 Habit principles to their own lives while helping to foster them in the lives of their children.