More than a Number: Using Multiple Measures
- The California School Dashboard aims to synthesize and make accessible a wealth of state and local data to help schools achieve better outcomes for California's students.
- In the past, accountability systems for schools and districts relied solely on test scores. But one test taken on one particular day doesn't provide a complete picture of all the ways schools are helping students succeed.
- The new California School Dashboard is an easy-to-use online tool to access this wealth of information, giving parents, teachers and community members a fuller picture of a school’s progress.
- Instead of relying exclusively on test scores as the previous accountability system did, this new system gives a snapshot of a manageable set of indicators, including high school graduation rates, career and college readiness, English learner progress and suspension rates, while still looking at test scores.
- The Dashboard’s multiple indicators give a fuller picture of a school's progress. The Dashboard also reports on growth to show a school's trajectory over time.
- Looking at different forms of data provides different information to help parents and educators understand all the ways schools and districts keep students on track for success.