The best teachers show you where to look but don’t tell you what to SEE
Visit your teacher's webpage for more detailed information regarding classwork, homework, class procedures, office hours & the latest information for your class.
Positive Normas to Encourage in Math Class
- Everyone Can Learn Math to the Highest Levels: Encourage students to believe in themselves. There is no such thing as a "math" person. Everyone can reach the highest levels they want to, with hard work.
- Mistakes are Valuable: Mistakes grow your brain! it is good to struggle and make mistakes.
- Questions are Really Important: Always ask questions, always answer questions. Ask yourself: why does this make sense?
- Math is about Creativity and Making Sense: Math is a very creative subject that is, at its core, about visualizing patterns and creating solution paths that others can see, discuss and critique.
- Math is about Connections and Communicating: Math is a connected subject, and a form of communication. Represent math in different forms; words, a picture, a graph, an equation, and link them. Color code!
- Depth is much more Important than Speed: Top mathematicians, such a Laurent Schwartz, thnk slowly and deeply.
- Math Class is about Learning not Performing: Math is a growth subject, it takestime to learn and it is all about effort.
Directions for using the Big Ideas online textbook