Los Cerritos Band
Report card grades are to be determined by the accumulation of leadership points awarded for student accomplishments and tasks. Materials, practice, knowledge and playing test points are “core” points. 2500 “core” points are required for a 100%/A+.
- 10 leadership points for a Materials check – Reminder Binder/Agenda Book, Instrument, Reeds/Sticks/Mallets, Music and pencil. There will be 20 random materials checks per trimester. All band events should be entered into agenda books.
Clarinet and Saxophone players should have good reeds for rehearsal in their case at all times. Rico orange box, or Rico Royal for beginning to intermediate students and Vandoren for advanced students. Reeds should be labeled for each day of the week and only used on those days.
Brass players should have their own valve oil and slide lubricant.
Percussionists should have a stick bag with share drum sticks, hard plastic mallets, medium rubber mallets, yarn mallets and tympani mallets. The Vic Firth Educational Pack has all of these and can be ordered from Amazon. It is important to have a bell kit at home for practicing. These can be rented from Nick Rail Music, Musician's Depot and Cyndi Hall's Music Studio.
- 30 leadership points for each practice session at home – Students are required to practice a minimum of 5 times per week for 100 minutes total. Practice times should be entered into agenda books. Parent signature is required for practice time to count.
- 20 leadership points for each weekly playing test performed correctly. Playing tests will be assigned from the class method book, or concert music.
- 20 leadership points for each knowledge quiz given in class.
- 10 leadership points for each of 12 major scale tests performed from memory correctly.
Extra effort points:
Students are allowed to use up to 500 “extra effort points” toward their grade. Extra effort points will also apply to special prizes, awards and privileges.
- 15 extra effort points for cleaning trash, dusting surfaces, putting away chairs and stands and organizing rooms.
- 50 extra effort points for creative projects such as compositions, composer research projects, music lesson posters, or 2 minute recording projects.
- 50 extra effort points for helping a friend learn a new skill on their instrument, or gain new musical knowledge.
- 100 extra effort points for attending a concert such as TOHS/WHS Band, Gold Coast Wind Ensemble, New West Symphony, LA Philharmonic, Music events at Cal Lutheran and CSUN, etc.
- 200 extra effort points for auditioning for honor band, or participating in Solo and Ensemble festival.
Extra Effort Rewards:
- 100 extra effort points gets a front of the line pass.
- 300 extra effort points gets a gift card for something cool.
- 800 extra effort points are eligible for special events, parties, etc.