What is the Conejo Valley Learning Center?
The vision for the Conejo Valley Learning Center began in 2005. The original goal was to build a new, state-of-the-art facility to act as a singular campus for multiple programs, which most recently includes CVUSD’s Conejo Valley High School, Century Academy and future Career Technical Education (CTE) programs. Due to a variety of reasons, including increased construction cost and potential soil mitigation to meet 2014 Building Code upgrades alternative options were considered. Based on the key objectives listed below, the District's Waverly Campus located at 1025 Old Farm Road in Thousand Oaks was selected as the best option to house the Conejo Valley Learning Center.
Key Objectives During CVLC Evaluation Process:
- Do what is best overall for all students, staff, and the community
- Be good stewards of taxpayers’ monies – fiscally responsible
- Implement Measure I program, as planned
- Use Conejo Valley Unified School District resources most efficiently and effectively
Finding a Home for CVLC:
- Developed common understanding of program vision by evaluating program needs and working with key program leaders
- Studied current and projected enrollments
- Assessed use of existing campuses
- Evaluated expansion of existing campuses
- Considered new construction with reduction of scope
- Investigated purchase of existing commercial buildings